June 6, 2008

taming the monkey

Elizabeth Gilbert writes that she is burdened with what Buddhists call the "'monkey mind'--the thoughts that swing from limb to limb, stopping only to scratch, spit and howl ... swinging wildly through time, touching on dozens of ideas a minute, unharnessed and undisciplined." I can totally relate. So, what do you do when your mind will not cooperate? When that monkey won't stay focused, attend to one particular task. This week, I attempted to tame that monkey. I'm about halfway through the author's stay in Indonesia. I'm really liking the book.Now staaaaay. Good monkey.

2 comments:

KC & Elizabeth said...

I love, love, love this book! Meditation will do wonders to help calm your mind. Even 5 min a day.

bubblegumandlipgloss said...

I haven't read this book, but I saw her on Oprah and I wasn't really impressed. Sorry, I'm sure the book is great, I just don't think leaving your husband because you don't want to have children and all that is the right way to "tame the monkey"